Counting My Blessings #6: Snow

a tree awaits on the other side of the bridge over Jacob's Creek by Kellogg High School
Photo taken January 2008

"In the bleak midwinter
Frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
Water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow,
Snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter,
Long ago. "
Christina Rossetti

Today we had our first snowfall. I am thankful for snow because it provides moisture to the gardens as they sleep under the white blanket during the winter months. It provides a stark, clean beauty that can be found in a simple frame of a tree or a creek. Snow also carries the memories of sleigh riding on Chestnut Hill, drinking hot cocoa when you arrived home cold and wet, rolling big white balls to make snowmen, and hooky bobbing or spinning brodies on the snowy pavement at the high school parking lot.

Jacob's Creek by the parking lot at Kellogg High School

Comments

  1. I love snow too. There's snow on some of the hills in Central Scotland but we're unlikely to get much at all here in Edinburgh - so I particularly appreciate your photos here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, the First and the LAST snow...HA! The ones in between leave me a bit COLD! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my favorite Christmas Carol. The words are so simple, yet so profound!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I saw a snowflake yesterday afternoon... but it wasn't cool enough here in the valley. But it sure was white on the Blues.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!