The Small Things

Some days it is hard to watch the news. Other days just seeing the gas prices come down a bit puts a smile on your face. There is a heaviness of the heart in thinking about those that are suffering. We are experiencing a time that is challenging every corner of our world. The words of this poem helped to comfort me today. It reminded me of those small things each of us can do.

Accepting This

Yes, it is true. I confess,
I have thought great thoughts,
and sung great songs—all of it
rehearsal for the majesty
of being held.

The dream is awakened
when thinking I love you
and life begins
when saying I love you
and joy moves like blood
when embracing others with love.

My efforts now turn
from trying to outrun suffering
to accepting love wherever
I can find it.

Stripped of causes and plans
and things to strive for,
I have discovered everything
I could need or ask for
is right here—
in flawed abundance.

We cannot eliminate hunger,
but we can feed each other.
We cannot eliminate loneliness,
but we can hold each other.
We cannot eliminate pain,
but we can live a life
of compassion.

Ultimately,
we are small living things
awakened in the stream,
not gods who carve out rivers.

Like human fish,
we are asked to experience
meaning in the life that moves
through the gill of our heart.

There is nothing to do
and nowhere to go.
Accepting this,
we can do everything

and go anywhere.

-Mark Nepo

Comments

  1. Thanks for this gem of hope--flawed abundance (wow) and for telling me about Odes to Opposites. I've ordered it from another library just this a.m. -- can't wait.
    I'm sending this poem on to my daughter who is doing surgery rotations and could use this bit of wisdom & encouragement.
    Thanks so much, my friend! Have a great weekend in God's Country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great poem and I love your photographs in this post and all of your posts for that matter. I find the natural world makes me feel fortunate in abundance even when the man made world gets me down.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!