Annabella and Oakleaf : Hardy Hydrangeas on Lake Roosevelt




When I first saw a hedge of brilliant blue hydrangeas in a coastal town in Oregon I wanted those at my house. Alas, I have tried, but I just could never get the Nikko Blues to be successful in my dry climate and sandy soil. I read somewhere that Annabella and Oakleaf Hydrangeas grow well in those conditions. They surely do! I have fallen in love with both of these types of hydrangeas. They each have a long blooming season. The flowers dry nicely and the leaves create interest in the garden also.The Annabella creates that fresh combination of bright white and lush green in a shrub. The blooms often get over 10" in diameter. I love it when the white blooms dry and turn to a lovely pale green color. Whether freshly cut or dried on the plant, the blooms are perfect in bouquets.
I saw a picture in a gardening magazine a few years ago of a hedge of Oakleaf Hydrangeas after the leaves turned in the fall. The colors were remarkable. Mine are just beginning to turn.The Oakleaf is one of the few hydrangeas native to the United States.They bloom in single or double white flowers, then turn a beautiful mauve color that turns deeper with the fall colors.
As you begin your wish list for your next year's garden, you may want to consider either or both of these hydrangeas. I guess I will have to let other gardeners be successful with the brilliant blue, pink, and violet colored ones. If you want to see gorgeous hydrangeas grown in the area south of me, go visit my blog friend JBelle and take a garden tour. You can find her stunning photos here.

Comments

  1. That is SO nice of you! Thank you. I have one last killer diller shot of a late white hydrangea that I can't believe I got. I'll post it this weekend. You will not believe it! :0 Does your 'Annabelle' turn real pink? Rosy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooooooooohh so lovely :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!