Another Meme... All About Books


Dad reading to Raymond Pert and I.


I found this meme on Ravenous Reader's Bookstack site here. I love hearing about how people develop their love for reading and what books and authors they enjoy. If you choose to do this meme, let me know so I can come and read yours also.

Do you remember how you developed a love of reading? As far back as I can remember books were a part of my life. I remember being read to at an early age by my mother and father and watching my brother learn to read and wanted to be like him. The Early Reader series which included Dr. Suess books and The Fly Went By ( the first book I read by myself) plus others were mailed to us each month as a gift from my grandmother. I remember reading titles such as One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish ,Blue Fish and The Cat and The Hat over and over again.

What are some books you loved as a child? The Happy Hollister series, Nancy Drew mysteries, Signature Biographies ( especially Helen Keller and Clara Barton), the Katie John series, The Velvet Room, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series, and The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew.

What is your favorite genre? I like contemporary novels, mysteries, memoir, cookbook memoirs, and poetry

Do you have a favorite novel? I don't know if I can name a favorite, but I can list books that have stayed with me long after I read them. Not all on the list are novels.

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls :her amazing memoir of survival blew my socks off
In the Wilderness by Kim Barnes: memoir about growing up in the area of North Idaho close to where my mother was raised
Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom: a book filled with lessons about life
Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd: a well-written beautiful story about mothers and home.
The Color of Water by James McBride: a moving memoir about an incredible man and the influence of his mother.
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer: I felt like I was climbing Mt. Everett while reading this.
Open House by Elizabeth Berg: actually any novel by Berg keeps me reading and reading until done.

Where do you usually read? In bed before I sleep or in a chair in a quiet room.

When do you usually read? Always before I go to bed and whenever else I can find time.

Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time? Yes. I always have a novel going, but then a book of poetry and something nonfiction.

Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction? Not really.

Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library? I always try to get them at the library first, especially novels. If I know it is a book I will continue to use as a resource I buy it used if I can. I have a friend that has the same tastes as me so we trade books back and forth. I also ask for books as gifts, especially my cookbook collection.

Do you keep most of the books you buy? I keep about half of them to read again or use for reference. The other half I pass on or donate to the Habitat Thrift Store.

If you have children, what are some of the favorite books you have shared with them? I don't have children of my own, but with my students as read alouds or group novels it has been all books by Roald Dahl, joke books, variety of poetry books, The Giver, Number the Stars, Devil's Arithmetic, The Outsiders, Hatchet, Mississippi Bridge and White Grizzly Bear's Legacy: Learning to Be Indian just to name a few.

What are you reading now? I am reading Blood Oranges by Drusilla Campbell and The Writing Diet by Julia Cameron.

Do you keep a To Be Read list? Yes, I do. I have two Reader's Journals that I am always filling with lists when I read about a book or get a recommendation from someone.

What’s next? The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas (sent home with me from my friend Bev as a "must read") and The Whole World Over by Julia Glass.

What books would you like to reread? On Writing by Steven King, The Bible, Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindberg, and The Fountainhead by Ann Rynd

Who are your favorite authors? Anna Quindlan, Jodi Picoult, Julia Cameron, Mary Oliver, Lois Lowry, Anne Lamott, Caroline Knapp, Elizabeth Berg, Sherman Alexie, and William Stafford to name a few.

I hope others of you try this meme so I can learn about even more books and authors to add to my reading journal.

Comments

  1. I am now reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver and it is flat brilliant. Really well done and clever as she has her college-age daughter comment at the end of each chapter. And for gardeners, this book is a must read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10.7.08

    Hi, great reading. I’ve recently discovered Bayard’s Books which seem to have the right mix of education and fun for all ages: StoryBoxBooks, AdventureBoxBooks, DiscoveryBoxBooks Also, I see they have a guest illustrator for one of their stories in the September edition of Storybox - award winning illustrator Helen Oxenbury, who also provided illustrations for Alice in Wonderland. They Also have some great ideas for a rainy day! http://www.storyboxbooks.com/potatoprinting.php
    http://www.adventureboxbooks.com/macaroni-picture-frames.php
    http://www.discoveryboxbooks.com/skittles.php

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to do this when I get home in a week. I'll let you know when I do. Meanwhile, I, too, am reading the Writing Diet. And I'm with you on Stephen King and Anne Morrow Lindberg. I especially love AML. I think I've read and reread everything she's written. She's one of my "idols" if I have one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trixie Belden was my first series of books that I loved.

    I loved the Persian Pickle Club.
    Recently I bought "Founding Mothers" by Cokie Roberts, got half way thru it and there it sits.

    I've not been in a read-y mood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed this! I enjoyed reading your answers :)

    I had forgotten all about the Happy Hollisters and Katie John until you reminded me - they were favorites of mine too.

    And The Whole World Over is one of my most favorite books. Julia Glass is a marvelous writer. I listened to the audio book and then read the print version right after, it was that good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since you enjoyed Jeannette Walls and The Glass Castle perhaps you can tell me why so many people liked this book. To me, it lacked any true emotion on Walls' part and reminded me of something her therapist told her she needed to write. Yes, there were inspirational parts in the book and some shining moments with her parents, but I came away with the impression that her mother was mentally ill and it was obvious her father was an alcoholic. I think she spent too much time glorifying the good of what came from her dismal life without facing the shortcomings of her parents well enough. I thought Social Services should have taken all of the children away many times over. Walls now lives in my community and has spoken at the library, but I didn't bother to go. Her book truly annoys me and I just can't get a handle on why people liked it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!