Summer Begins on the Last Day of School!

For the last forty-seven years I have greeted summer on the last day of school. Whether it was as a student or now a teacher my first day of summer never coincided with the calendar. The last day of school was the first day of summer! Students spotted snow at their homes in the area this morning, I had to dig out my heavier coat when I left the house, but the colors of the late spring garden and the variety of birds in our feeders make this season seem more like summer. The collage above reminds me of what I have to look forward to Friday.... an easy chair, a cool drink (or maybe hot chocolate this week!), flowers blooming, birds singing, a new book, and sunscreen. I have loved my teaching year very much, but I am quietly counting the hours until Friday when the students aren't looking.

Comments

  1. The Chows are so damn glad school's out they can barely even talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get this! Even though we have a week of post-session, the days start at 10 and end at 3...tomorrow we have a staff brunch...it's much easier. And yup, I think it's summer now, too =)

    Beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering if my summer will begin, not when school at LCC is over,but when the retreat is over....STRESS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11.6.08

    Isn't it interesting how we can love something deeply and yet still want it to be over? I had a fantastic time teaching this year as well, but the end of the semester could not have been more welcome in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. are those your flowers??truly exquisite some of those do not grow in /Fl. and I miss them terribly

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful collage and the brightly colored flowers! Beautiful.
    I am still waiting for summer as it did snow this morning at my house. Forecast for this weekend is calling for sunshine so I am hoping things will turn around!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You may have already covered this and I missed it, but I thought I'd ask anyhow. Could you tell us something about how the Inland Empire got its name? Other than you being "Inland Empire Girl" I'd never heard the term before, but the other day one of the people on the Weather Channel referred to the Inland Empire. I've read some of your articles on local history and hope that my question isn't something that I should have read and remembered.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!