Photo Hunt: Old Fashioned


I have posted about The Garden Valley Church before. Our church is old fashioned in itself. It sits on a hill on Lake Ellen Road where it has been since 1912. It is about a mile and a half from our house. Electricity and heat have been added to the church building. We function without running water or indoor bathrooms. There is a cemetery behind the church and horses were winter feeding next to the church last Sunday.
We also had an old fashioned Box Social after the Sunday service last week. The women made the lunches to feed two and the men donated to the building fund. Even though many couldn't attend church last Sunday due to the snow and bad roads we still had a grand time. A variety of lunches arrived and people enjoyed good food and conversation. My mom shared with me that she had gone to Box Socials at the Grange when she was growing up. I think this was my first Box Social!
We had a delicious lunch that included meatballs, baked beans, fruit salad, and a yummy apple date cake.


For other photo hunters using Old Fashioned go here .

Comments

  1. great shots for the theme!!! hope you'll visit mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty! No indoor plumbing?! That is old fashion indeed! *smile*

    Have a great weekend!

    Write From Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos! The box social sounds like fun. Having no running water or indoor washrooms is definitely old fashioned!

    Dragonheart & Merlin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous26.1.08

    These photos makes me hungry specially the bake beans:) Great take on this weeks theme! Visit mine if you have a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Box Social reminds me of a Laura Ingalls Wilder story =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We do box lunches at the office and they are lots of fun. Just between us girls, though, I do get cranky with the people who bring Albertson's fried chicken and don't cook. Invariably, they are the ones who get the box that has 10 hours put into it and is absolutely a work of art, inside and out. You know, that would be a great blog for next weekend here at The Table. Do a box lunch in words and tell how it looks and what's in it AND who it's for!

    dare ya...

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh I love your photos and your stories to go along with it...I have never been or heard of a lunch box lunch...I mean I use to have a tin lunch box for school when I was little...but I don't think this is what your are talking about....thank you for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  8. The foods makes me wanna go to the kitchen right away lol! You make my hungry stomach wants the food you have here lol! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful photographs for the theme and your Church sounds like a good community. Many older customs like the box social are good ones to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely pictures. What a lot of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a wonderful old fashioned custom that has nearly died out. A potluck is different. My hubby is going to a potluck this afternoon. I am not going with him, but he is leaving me a serving of the dessert he is taking to go with my TV dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  12. great post, I love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fellow photo hunters: Thanks for stopping by.

    Carver: We do have a good community of people at our church. We also have Sunday sing-alongs and the Old Time Fiddlers come to play. That is a big hit.

    What a great idea to do it at the office JBelle. I feel the same way when we have staff potlucks and four pies in WalMart boxes show up. I love your box lunch idea for a blog post. I'm thinking.... I'm thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. With no indoor plumbing -- well, I might go easy on the baked beans.

    (:

    That was just like a summer picnic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!