January: Time to Slow Down and Look for Potential


Today was a day to take a deep breath and rest. I love January because life slows down. It is time to take stock of the last year, stay home and hibernate, and begin to look ahead to the next year and the potential it holds. It is time to read seed catalogues and plan spring planting. It is also time to get to those books sitting around during the holiday season unread. I love the beauty of winter and celebrate it by changing my Christmas tree to a Winter Tree. I love silver balls, white lights, and white snowflakes. I also love snowpeople and began collecting them years ago when students gave me unique snowmen as gifts at Christmas. They add cheerfulness sitting around the house.

"We spend January walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives... not looking for flaws, but for potential." ~Ellen Goodman

Comments

  1. What a great way to ring in 2008! Your headers are always amazing, I'd love to know how you get a custom header. I love your snowy outside tree.

    Blessings in 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great perspective. Problem is, as RP has been quick to note from time to time, I do have a tendancy to wander down tributaries in my pursuit of a point. In this regard I am afraid that my flaws may be of such a magnitude that I will mistake one, or more, of them for the main stream. I will give it a shot though, but if'n I get lost along the way, well,... it's your fault!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your idea of a winter tree! I heard of only one other person who did something akin to that, but she used a more bare tree, hanging it with different themed ornaments for each month. I love having a tree up so much I just may have to try something like that this year! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of a winter tree. I like to keep my snowmen out all winter, and my winter white candles.

    I like the quote at the end - "don't look for flaws, look for potential." That's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we have snow scenes on our windows at work... that way we can leave them up through January and enjoy them.

    I'm hoping that I do some walking (physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually) this January

    I have things to do, places to go, and ideas to bring to fruition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammy: Thanks for noticing the header. I just take a picture and load it on blogger on the top under layout and you can add text. It has worked with the layout you have now and the one I am using. Sometimes I have to play around with the size of the picture. I hope that helps. I love the picture of the two of you.
    Go Figure: Tributaries can be good... just think of "two roads that diverged at the yellow wood."
    Rondi: One year I had a live tree so I just left birds and natural things on it... the tree didn't make it though. I love the winter tree.
    Becca: Yeah! Another snowman lover. I have white candles also. Otherwise it is too bare after Christmas.
    Pamela: I love the window idea.. I should dress up my classroom windows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, time to stack last years memories on the shelves of me mind, to bring out and remember and smile at a later time during the year when I need a warm smile....

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marmite: Good way of putting it. Of course you have that great image of the bird feed snack when you need a warm smile. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking about how you refit your tree for January and now to be able to get a glimpse of your place is lovely. Luckily for us snowpeople collectors, there are SO many to choose from and many after-Christmas orphans too.
    You might like to make this guy:
    http://sandraevertson.blogspot.com/2007/12/chilly-willy.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!