Clam Chowder: A Keeper from the Recipe Box

When the weather is so frigid soups and chowders are perfect dishes to serve for lunch or dinner. Years ago there was a recipe contest in the Tri-City Herald when I lived in Kennewick. This clam chowder recipe was the winner, but I regret I have lost the original so I can't give credit to the creator. This recipe has become a favorite at home and when our family gathers around the table in Kellogg. It freezes well and has also been one of my most requested recipes. It is a keeper!

Clam Chowder
3 cups boiling water and clam juice
5 chicken bullion cubes
1 3/4 c. cubed potatoes
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
5 stalks celery, chopped
1 chopped onion
1 green pepper, chopped
1/4 c. butter
2 1/2 cups milk
3/4 c. flour
3 cups grated jack cheese
1 TB parsley
2 or more cans of chopped clams
thyme

Dissolve bullion cubes in boiling clam water. Add all veggies and butter. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer until veggies are done.
Combine milk and flour in the blender or food processor. Add to soup and cook 3-5 minutes. Add cheese and cook until melted. Add parsley, thyme, and clams. Heat 1-2 minutes.
Serves 6-8

Comments

  1. yum! Think I'll make it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous23.1.08

    Makes me miss my New England home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remember to put in the clams.

    (Do you remember when Mom forgot?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I use heavy cream in mine. lol

    Your white kitty in the bird feeder was too cute and I loved the lake shot.

    "I just started The Poets Home Repair Manual."

    Hug

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love LOVE L O V E clam chowda.. :)

    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have wanted a copy of this recipe forever, but always forget to ask. Thanks for posting. And yes, I remember the time Mom forgot to add the clams.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I love a good clam chowder and have been looking for a recommended recipe. Certainly will keep this one on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous20.7.08

    It looks good.
    I like your blog.
    Saludos, Mariana C.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!