I Remember the Holiday Season

I remember sitting in the upstairs window watching my parents sneak in the presents from Santa. We didn’t have a chimney for him to come down on Christmas Eve.

I remember the first time I ice skated. It was really, really cold. So cold we didn’t have school because the pipes froze or the water was bad. We tried skating at Polio Pond outside of town. I remember bringing hot chocolate in Dad’s thermos and passing it around to my friends.

I remember the snow being so deep one year we could touch the roof off our back porch.

I remember Dad making Tom and Jerrys.

I remember getting the cigar box full of change from Big Walt. We always had to count it together then split it evenly.

I remember stockings loaded with goodies, especially beef jerky. It was the only time during the year we got beef jerky.

I remember fruitcake soaked in brandy.

I remember the cornucopia that held colored balls. It always sat on the round end table.

I remember trying to wake my little sister up on Christmas morning by throwing Mom’s underwear at her.
I remember Santa riding down a snowy hill on a Norelco shaver .

I remember the candlelight service at church. The service always ended with the lights going out, candles being passed out and lit, and the congregation singing “Silent Night” . That was my Grandma Woolum’s favorite Christmas carol.

I remember finding a desk under the Christmas tree one year.

I remember not having a Christmas tree until late one year. We brought the one home from the Silver King School Christmas program.

I remember a gold bell that hung in the kitchen door. When you pulled the string, it played “Jingle Bells.” I remember the year Silver Valley Girl got her Winnie the Pooh, Fisher Price school bus, and pajamas that matched mine.

I remember the angel chimes that twirled when you lit the candles. The chimes made a soft tinkling sound.

I remember spritz, Nuts and Bolts, 7-Layer cookies, popcorn balls, and Hungarian Coffeecake.

I remember my first nativity set. I picked it out of the Sears Christmas Wish Book.

I remember having family look alike pajamas one year when we lived on E. Portland. I remember we all wore them on Christmas morning.

I remember only getting to open one present on Christmas Eve and always begging to open more.

I remember “Chestnuts Roasting on a Open Fire” and Dad getting misty. I remember going shopping with my dad for my mom’s Christmas presents. He took me into Patanos. He told Jackie to pick out what Mom would like. He headed to Dick and Floyd’s and I joined him when Jackie had wrapped the gifts. I had a root beer at the front counter while Dad had a beer at the bar. Later when Mom opened her presents he would inquire, “Oh, is that what I got you?”

I remember sleeping in the cold upstairs with a new electric blanket on my bed.

I remember when I sang a solo at the Sixth Grade Christmas program. I sang a verse of “What Child is This?” MW sang another verse. I remember watching White Christmas and loving to hear the song “Sisters”.

I remember the “Silent Night” ornament with the beautiful sparkles and a blend of frosty rosy pink and blue. Raymond Pert and I fought over who got to put it on the Christmas tree. It still hangs on Mom’s tree every year. It is the first thing I check when I walk in the house and look at the tree.


by inlandempiregirl

with thanks to Joe Brainard: copy change of " I Remember"

Comments

  1. I love your list! What vivid word pictures of Christmases past! "White Christmas" is one of my favorite movies. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such lovely memories~they made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. just jen: come back and visit. The Tom and Jerry post is coming. It is a creamy batter you mix to make a hot toddy type drink.
    Thanks Katrina... I do love White Christmas also.
    Becca: A smile is a good thing!
    Thanks Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  5. just jen: come back and visit. The Tom and Jerry post is coming. It is a creamy batter you mix to make a hot toddy type drink.
    Thanks Katrina... I do love White Christmas also.
    Becca: A smile is a good thing!
    Thanks Shelby

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!