Bread and Butter Pickles: A Keeper from the Recipe Box

Bread and Butter Pickles are a late summer favorite at our house. It is such a great way to use those cucumbers that are just a bit too big to make crisp dills. I love the mixture of cucumber, onion, and the slightly sweet spices. I tried to find the origin of the name, and one source suggested they were named this because they could be served alone with bread and butter because of the mix of cucumbers and onions. These pickles have been served in our family since I was old enough to remember my grandmothers serving them. My mom makes a refrigerator version.Bread and Butter Pickles

4 pounds cucumbers, cut in slices
2 pounds onions, thinly sliced
1/3 cup canning salt
2 cups sugar ( Splenda works fine)
2 TB mustard seed
2 tps. celery seed
2 tps. pickling spice mix
3 cups vinegar
Combine cucumber and onion slices in a large bowl. Layer vegetables with salt; cover with ice cubes. Let stand 1 ½ hours. Drain; rinse; drain again. Combine remaining ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Add drained cucumbers and onions and return to a boil. Pack hot pickles and liquid in hot jars, leaving ¼-inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner. Yield: about 7 pints

Comments

  1. I'm hoping to get my grandma's canner out this fall and actually use it. I'm bummed I missed asparagus season. I love pickled asparagus. But bread n butter pickles are near the top of my list, too. Yum. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom makes those... I didn't grow cucumbers this year, but I'm hoping to next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for this. Jim and I have been planning on trying out canning this harvest and pickles are my FAVORITE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are Dave's moms favorite pickle and he wanted me to find a good recipe...done! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good work and thanks for sharing your knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12.9.07

    Ohhh, those look so good! My mom used to make them and I just loved them - but I've never tried. Looks like a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom used to make a sweet pickle from a recipe she got from a friend. (I think the friend developed the recipe.) Anyway, they were a crisp, bright green pickle that had to sit in a crock for some weeks. We loved them, but I haven't got the "umph" to try making them.

    I do love bread and butter pickles, too. I used to have them (Nalley's cucumber chips on my tuna fish sandwiches with mustard. Sounds like a weird combo, but it is really good!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!