A Great Dish for Hot Summer from the Recipe Box

My sister Silver Valley Girl served this dish a few summers ago and I have made it ever since. I think she found it on the penne package. It is a good summer recipe because you don't have to heat up the kitchen too much, it is quick, and it uses fresh ingredients from the garden or farmer's market. Add salad and bread and you have a meal for the family or an easy one for entertaining.
Penne with Cheeses, Tomatoes, and Basil

16 oz. penne
1/3 cup olive oil
2/3 cup onion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
2 pounds ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
( or 2 28 oz. cans whole plum tomatoes)
3 TB chopped fresh basil leaves
1 ¼ c. finely grated Parmesan cheese
3 oz. mozzarella cheese, cut into ¼ inch cubes

Begin cooking pasta.
Heat ¼ cup oil, add onions and sauté.
Add tomatoes and salt. Cook ten minutes. Stir in 2 TB basil.
Drain pasta.
Put in heated bowl. Add remaining oil and tomatoes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Add mozzarella cheese and continue tossing until the cheese starts to melt. Sprinkle with the rest of the basil and serve. Serves 4

Comments

  1. Sounds yummy! I have been cooking on the grill a lot. . .okay, when I have cooked, it has been on the grill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound well scrummie..... think I might knock one of them up tomorrow for lunch.....

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pinehurst: It is easy when even the grill it too hot!
    Marmite: I think you will like it. I sure hate to read about all this bad news in London with bombs. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!