Thursday Poetry: Rivers

This week I decided to give Poetry Thursday a whirl. You can find the site here. The topic this week is rivers.
Our Rivers: Washington State

In Washington state
our rivers flow out of the mountains,
connect to guide travelers,
merge with the ocean,
and thunder to the Great Columbia.

Coastal Indians paddled the Nisqually, Nooksack, Quinault,
Northern bands camped on the Kettle, Colville, Sanpoil, Okanogan.
Explorers relied on the Spokane,Yakima, and Palouse,
Missionaries journeyed close to the Touchet, Tucannon, and Walla Walla.

Locals love the sound of Methow, Pend Oreille, Puyallup,
Wynoochee, Chehalis, Skykomish, and Elwha.
But when it comes to trying to spell them-
My favorites are Green, Snake, Lewis, and Rock.

Comments

  1. The ending of this surprised me and made me laugh! I really liked this. And I enjoyed reading about Washington state and its rivers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful sounding names for your rivers, but I'm definitely with you on the spelling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice and I love the ending too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1.6.07

    I love the 'mighty' Columbia! We camp every year at Mary Hill State Park - and this summer will also be staying at the Memoloose State park. I have a sister who lives on the Methow River, and we had our boat moored on Pend Oreille for five years, but the Snake River is my favorite, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite line is "and thunder to the Great Columbia." It reminds me of the many falls and dams along the great rivers of the Northwest. Their thundering roars demonstrate their power as much as the smooth waters demonstrate their beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!