Quick and Easy Rhubarb Cake: From the Recipe Box

Rhubarb is one of those plants I think everyone has grown up with. It is actually a vegetable. I have heard stories of friends going out in the garden and just pulling the stalks and eating them raw. I always waited until somebody like Mom or Grandma put it in a dessert or sauce of some kind. Today I harvested my first crop of rhubarb of the season.Now that I raise rhubarb I have collected quite a few recipes. I always make strawberry rhubarb jam later when the strawberries are ripe. I also like rhubarb better baked in a recipe with another companion fruit. Peaches, mandarin oranges, and again strawberries come to mind. The recipe below lists strawberry jello, but another recipe had raspberry. You can experiment. This cake is quick, easy, and delicious. I will post other rhubarb recipes as spring turns to summer. Enjoy!


Quick and Easy Rhubarb Cake

Ingredients:
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
4 cups rhubarb, chopped
1 (3 ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin mix
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup water
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Line the bottom of one ungreased 9x13 inch baking pan with the diced rhubarb. Sprinkle the white sugar over the top. Then sprinkle the gelatin over the top of the sugar. Next sprinkle the cake mix over the top of the gelatin.
Melt the butter or margarine and pour it over the top of the cake mix. Pour the water over the top of the cake.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes.
If you are using frozen rhubarb reduce the amount of water used to 1/2 cup. It can be served warm with frozen yogurt, ice cream, or whipped cream.

Comments

  1. I love rhubarb! And I've managed to kill it three times now. How can anyone kill rhubarb, you ask? I don't know. I figure anything that would grow for my grandmother in North Dakota should grow like crazy for me, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband says is all in the amount of water you give the plants... he is the vegetable guy...I do the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never grown rhubarb. Don't know why exactly. My mother used to make the sauce and put it over ice cream. My father luuved it. Is your flowering almond is bloom?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love rhubarb! My grandmother used to stew it and then add cream. So delicious! I can't wait to try your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. JBelle-Yes, my flowering almond is still in bloom. It is one thing that came with the house that has survived. We started rhubarb just to add a border to our bare beginnings. Now I am glad I have it. It always provides green color when everything else goes limp in August.
    Rondi- I hope you enjoy the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE rhubarb.... and I make rhubarb and apple crumble...... we dont actually grow it in me garden, but I buy it from a little old man that lives in Southwick Village 2 miles from here, he lives in a little thatched cottage and sells his extra goods out the front of his little cottage...... he grows wonderful beetroots to, which I LOVE and I have a great cake recipe for beetroot and chocolate cake :) YUM lol

    x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!