National Poetry Month, Poem #14

Counting-Out Rhyme

Silver bark of beech, and sallow
Bark of yellow birch and yellow
Twig of willow.

Stripe of green in moosewood maple,
Color seen in leaf of apple,
Bark of popple.

Wood of popple pale as moonbeam,
Wood of oak for yoke and barn-beam
Wood of hornbeam.

Silver bark of beech, and hollow
Stem of elder, tall and yellow
Twig of willow.

-Edna St. Vincent Millay

These pictures show my weeping willow and trees from our ten mile drive. I love the poetic sounds that blend in this poem.

Comments

  1. I'm feeling badly this morning because my friend Wendy's father is dying; I came over here for comfort and found the most wonderful poem with the prettiest of trees. Thank you. Still crying but much freer now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your friend Wendy is fortunate to have a friend like you. The weeping willow has taken forever to get going. This year it may take off. Be good to yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I always enjoy reading comments!